Here we go.

27 October 2011

Cortez

My aunt and uncle live in Cortez, but it takes 15 minutes to drive into town from their ranch.  We spent a little time in town, but it's so small, it didn't take long to walk up and down Main Street.  Our first stop was Notah-Dineh Trading Co.  It was recommended by Pati & David.  I really wanted to look at Navajo rugs and Zuni fetishes.  I've never been to a trading company, so I've nothing to compare it to, but it was interesting -- lots of things to look at including turquoise, Pendleton throws and saddle blankets, rugs, pottery, and baskets.  They also have a small museum in the basement.


Photobucket


They have on display some amazing Navajo rugs:
Photobucket


Photobucket


The significance of this one is that it's the largest Two Gray Hills rug known.   TGH means there were no dyes used.  Those are the colors of the sheep's wool:
 Photobucket


Old trading post display:
Photobucket


Turquoise.  If you are into this sort of thing, the area is flooded with Chinese turquoise and not local, so if you are in the market, it's good to know your vendor:
Photobucket


Photobucket


Yep
Photobucket

If you would like a good root beer, try Main St. Brewery in Cortez.  They brew one with honey, which really comes through.  I brought a growler of it home to share w KMHD & Brittany, my potential root beer brewing partners.  We really need to crack it, ladies!  It's probably already flat.
Photobucket

2 comments:

nicole said...

Gorgeous! Love the rugs and the turquoise. xo.

AMD & KMHD said...

I have a major appreciation for them as well. They mean a lot to their makers.

Blog Archive